The Trust is dedicated to the well-being of the Basin, so the role we take on as hosts of Basin events is important to us. To demonstrate this commitment, we are doing what we can to minimize the footprint of the 2017 Columbia Basin Symposium.
We welcome your input and encourage Basin residents and Symposium participants to send us suggestions on how to improve next time.
Examples from past and upcoming Symposiums include:
Support Local Businesses and Organizations
- Support local businesses that attempt to reduce their environmental footprints, and use local services.
- Support local community groups that can contribute to the event to fundraise for their organizations.
- Purchase local goods for speaker gifts.
Obtain Green Food Services
- Obtain catering from local restaurants that focus on using local ingredients and limiting waste.
- Reduce waste by ordering accurate quantities.
- Minimize the use of disposable cutlery, cups, plates, table linens and napkins.
- Provide sources of water and reusable water bottles.
- Plan wisely and limit the amount of paper printed for the event.
- Allow attendees to receive their information packages electronically.
- Support green travel and reduce travel when possible.
- Allow participants to attend virtually to reduce the need for travel.